[openbeos] Re: Visual Design for R1?

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:48:40 -0400 EDT

> From: "Simon Taylor"
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I seem to recall reading somewhere that for copyright reasons OBOS
> > R1
> > will have a new name, and also have a completly new set of icons.
> > However, looking at the Default Decorator for the App Server and
> > the
> > interface kit code, it appears these areas are sticking very
> > closely to
> > the R5 design - AFAIK, pixel-for-pixel for a lot of the interface
> > kit
> > code.
> >
> > Although R5 does look pretty good, it is begin to look dated
> > compared
> > to more modern interfaces.
>
>     You're right!
Perhaps not as emphatically as some, but I also agree.

> > Is there any chance we could have a UI redisgn for R1? I'm not
> > asking
> > for complete interface skinning (not sure I ever want that) - but a
> > redesign interface kit components and default decorator.
>
>     I think you might have one.
Personally speaking, a lot of work has gone into them already, and I'd
hate to see work on controls which are currently done to suddenly be
"not done" because of a graphical redesign. At the same time, it'd be
nice to have an updated look.  This is a decision for Erik or Michael
officially, but I'd rather wait and see if someone decides to rework
the look independently. That "one more thing" syndrome tends to prevent
getting stuff out the door.

> > More discussion and mock-up app shot at:
> > http://si-msn.port5.com/OBOS-Look.html
> >
> > Altering a few lines of code in the Draw() methods of interface
> > items
> > would not affect binary compatibility, but will completely alter a
> > user's perception of the OS. A new, modern look would re-enliven
> > the
> > entire OS, and help to set apart OBOS R1 as being "newer and better
> > than BeOS R5" (many at the moment see it as a clone, instead of a
> > binary-compatible API reimplementation).
> >
> > Thoughts/comments?
A new decorator will happen when I get a chance to design (if not
write) a Decorator SDK which would allow for proper testing of the API
and any new decorators. Right now, the development I've been doing on
them has been done in a less-than-ideal situation to say the least. At
this point, the API is not far enough to reproducate Stuart's nice
work. That's not to say that before R1 it won't be possible. The main
problem is those rounded tabs. While nice, it would require either (a)
a lot of really ugly code or (b) waiting until ClipToPicture is
implemented (I think). If you'd be interested in not waiting and
developing your own decorator, contact me off-list and we'll talk. Hope
this answers a few questions for everyone. :^)

--DarkWyrm