[openbeos] Re: Visual Design for R1?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:47:18 -0400

>Michael Phipps wrote:
>> [a whole bunch of stuff that is right on the mark.]
>
>Man, I was hoping somebody was going to say this.  Yes, I agree, entirely.

Thanks!

>I can't claim to have a lot of a stake in this.  I expect my entire
>contribution will be to port my current BeOS programs to OBOS when it's
>finished.  (I'm having trouble believing you guys are going to hit your
>binary compatibility goal.)  But that's the important thing: WHEN IT'S
>FINISHED.

I wonder why you think that BC will be unreachable.
*Every* indication, to this point, has lead us to believe that it is
acheivable.
There has not yet been an insurmountable obstruction. There are places where we
have chosen to not keep it, IIRC, but that doesn't effect user apps in any way.
Unless you are reaching into the unpublished interfaces, it should just work.

Remember - code is just code. :-) We have all of the interface info that we
could possible need, both electronically (nm -C) and documentation (BeBook). We
know the compiler toolchain used. We have multiple test environments. For a
reverse engineering situation, that is just about optimal. :-)