[openbeos] Re: Visual Design for R1?

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:27:34 +0100 BST

[snip]

>     WHERE are those mockups??????????????
>     I've been looking for them for 3 days! (well... 3 hours at every
> night!)
>
>     I remember seeing some INCREDIBLE mockups, I've saved them on my
> HDD but
> I've lost all my data 3 months ago!
>
>     Can anyone give me a link to some of these images or send them to
> me by
> email??? PLEASE!

The mockups were hosted at a site www.webhost-free.com - now the DNS
does not resolve. Maybe an email to Stuart would be the best way - I
guess he might have more recent images he was working on.

> > More discussion and mock-up app shot at:
> > http://si-msn.port5.com/OBOS-Look.html
> >
> > Altering a few lines of code in the Draw() methods of interface
> > items
> > would not affect binary compatibility, but will completely alter a
> > user's perception of the OS. A new, modern look would re-enliven
> > the
> > entire OS, and help to set apart OBOS R1 as being "newer and better
> > than BeOS R5" (many at the moment see it as a clone, instead of a
> > binary-compatible API reimplementation).
> >
> > Thoughts/comments?
>
>     It's like we had the same thought at the same time. I was
> planning to
> talk to DarkWyrm about a new Default Decorator that was... more
> modern, but
> I had to find those mockups first.
>     I think DW will gladly accept our request!
>     DW?

The only problem I see (as I mention on that html page) is that the
window tabs use an anti-aliased curved edge (can't blit the whole tab)
and the windows cast a semi-transparent shadow - so on moving the
window, the area underneath the shadow would need redrawing, and then
the shadow drawing over the top. Far from an impossible task - but you
obviously can't just blit the whole window, decorator and all, around
the screen. Also I wasn't sure how the current decorator API would
handle alpha drawing, or how complicated a change it would be.

> > ps: Keep up the great work guys - I can't wait to boot OBOS off my
> > HDD!
>
>     Me too... :-)
>
> > pps: Any chance of posting some more news to the front page? First
> > successful messaging test using 100% OBOS code seems like a
> > newsworthy
> > item to me ;)
>
>     Yeah! Do that Erik!
>

> PS: I'm a IK Team member developing BWindow/BView classes and
> recently
> joined DW on app_server development. IF DW doesn't want to adopt the
> new
> Default Decorator( witch I surely doubt!!! ), I promise you I will
> implement
> it as an add-on! :-)

Thanks very much. Heh - looking at those mock-ups, I think ppl would be
crazy to switch to anything other than the default ;)

What do the ppl responsible for the actual controls (Erik/Mark?) think
about a redesign of these components?

Simon