[openbeos] Re: Visual Design for R1?

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 17:47:15 +0100 BST

[snip]

>     Simon, CDT may release some incredible GUI designs, but we cannot
> implement them, we DO NOT have support for some components, hell...
> BeOS
> doesn't! A major redesign of API and in server is needed, and we DO
> NOT
> afford that now! I'm sorry, I know you want good things for this OS,
> but
> some of them cannot be done right now!

I understand the limitations for decorators/window borders/etc. However
for controls etc, they are all still contained in a nice rectangular
BView area - and we can draw into them with lots of commands (draw
line, fill rect), even stuff like B_MODE_ALPHA for cool effects - all
in the current API.

I don't know how busy the CDT team are now on logos, icons, new site
design, etc - but this could give them a chance to have some vital
input into R1. Why not give them some constraints to work within
(rectangular tabs, etc - maybe even as far as ScrollView B_FANCY_BORDER
should be 3px thick) - and see what they come up with?

Simon