[openbeos] Re: Visual Design for R1?

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:05:52 +0200

burton666 wrote:

> Let me disagree... a developer is, first of all, a user.
> And for me, it DOES matter what the OS looks like.

In my opinion, and having worked with a number of developers
over the years, most of them are clueless when it comes to
interface design and usability. They need constant reminding
to make things more friendly and coherent.

A developer may be a user, but he certainly doesn't
represent that part of the "user universe" that eventually
shells out the bucks.

Also, by definition, a coder is someone who thinks on a very
structured level, using his left brain. A graphic artist
uses his right brain, thinking completely different. I see
this all the time in my job. I do a lot of website design in
PHP and MySQL, but for the design I farm everything out to a
friend in Germany who is a graphic artist. Takes her a
fraction of time and saves me a huge amount. Of course I
tell her what can and what can't be done, but that's the
nature of the thing anyway.

Both parties must work together because none has the other's
skills, and again, most developers suck at UI and graphic
design, so the last thing I would do is base the appearance
of an OS on someone who has little or no graphic and
asthetic skills. That's ultimately what the CDT is for, and
while the developers have to set the parameters and limits,
they should stick to their guns, because the CDT people also
don't tell the hard-core coders who they should write their
code.

Helmar 'who thought that Sonork was a stupid name, the
Maserati 3200 GT looked ugly, and who erred and changed his
mind on many an occasion about stuff, but who still thinks
that BeOS Rx has one of the most user-unfriendly and
inconsistent UIs with no proper guidelines out there.'