[openbeos] Re: Visual Design for R1?

  • From: "Adi Oanca" <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:33:53 +0300

From: "Simon Taylor"
> > The problem is:
> > Can we all agree on a given design, different from the R5 one?
> > No.
> > I don't like the supplied screenshots, for example.
    Then, sorry you have bad tastes. :-)))) Please, don't mind! :-)

> I say again, user reaction to the release of R1 is a crucial. At the
> moment, people would say "it's taken years, and it's the same as R5".
> People really are that fickle to judge your project based on it's
> appearance - change that, and you change the whole perception of the OS
> "Oh, I thought they were just making an exact copy of R5, but it looks
> like they've come up with a whole new OS - cool, I'll try it out".

    In POV:  I TOTALLY agree!!!

> > Moreover, isn't just a matter of changing a few lines. Yeah, for the
> > scrollbars, maybe, but have a look at some more advanced controls...
> you need to change the drawing mode for all the states of those
> controls, and you need to have a consistent look.

    That's not true it a proper GUI is used!

> OK then - if someone from the CDT team gives me an exact look for the
> controls - I'll write the code.

    I will help!

> > So, my opinion (which probably doesn't count so much) is: let's stick
> > to the R5 visual design and let's get this thing done.
> Your opinion certainly counts more than mine!
>
> my opinion: you guys concentrate on "getting the thing done" - let CDT
> design the whole OS while they're doing icons, backgrounds, logos, etc
> - lets make it all consistant - give me the exact mockups and let me
> alter the drawing code for the controls.

    Simon, CDT may release some incredible GUI designs, but we cannot
implement them, we DO NOT have support for some components, hell... BeOS
doesn't! A major redesign of API and in server is needed, and we DO NOT
afford that now! I'm sorry, I know you want good things for this OS, but
some of them cannot be done right now!

    Contact me if you need to talk about something.

Adi.