[openbeos] Re: Visual Design for R1?

  • From: "Adi Oanca" <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:00:14 +0300

From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Yes, agreed. However, only a relatively small amount of code would need
> changing - a few lines for the interface items. I realise from the app-
> server POV, a lot of internal changes would be needed to support the
> curved tabs and the semi-transparent window shadow. However, we could
> always ask the CDT team for a new design with certain constraints (ie
> square tabs). The question is more about the principle of refreshing
> the look, rather than using that particular design.

    If DW is occupied with something else, I will do the modifications on
app_server. But we need square areas for decorator!!!
    I will implement gradient support in a new BGradientRenderer class as
Marc
suggested so we can use a rectangle with 4 colors in it's corners. I'll try
to support as much drawing primitives as I can.

> eg: To create an acceptable graduated shadow (although obviously
> horribly inefficient) for the BScrollView B_FANCY_BORDER or whatever:
>
> fBitmapChild->SetDrawingMode(B_OP_ALPHA);
> fBitmapChild->SetBlendingMode(B_CONSTANT_ALPHA, B_ALPHA_OVERLAY);
> //Graduated Shadow
> fBitmapChild->SetHighColor(0, 0, 0, 50);
> for(int i=0; i<5; i++)
> {
> for(int j=0; j<5; j++)
> {
> fBitmapChild->FillRect(BRect(5 + i, Bounds().bottom - 5,
> Bounds().right - i, Bounds().bottom - j), B_SOLID_HIGH);
> fBitmapChild->FillRect(BRect(Bounds().right - 5, 5 + i,
> Bounds().right - j, Bounds().bottom - 6), B_SOLID_HIGH);
> }
> }

    No... no shadows yet! Let DW finish redrawing code first, and then
maybe!

> If you're worried about the amount of coding time a redesign will take,
> I think I'm probably capable of writing the drawing commands, if
> someone from CDT gives me an exact specification about the design.

    Yeah let's ask Stuart!

> I also don't think this would be the thing that delays R1, due to the
> relatively few changes needed.

    If you help, I don't think we'll have a delay! :-)

> And speaking as a complete non-designer, from a designer's perspective
> I imagine it would be nice to have "control" over the whole look of the
> OS, to acheive the complete vision, rather than just having modern-
> looking icons paired with older-looking UI elements.

    Right!

> I might mail you offlist about other app-server stuff (or maybe on the
> IK mailing list if it's been opened to non-members).

        As I understood from Erik, it will open soon.

> Any thoughts from Stuart/Michael/Erik/Others on changing UI look for
> R1?

    Nope, not yet!

Adi.