[openbeos] Visual Design for R1?

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:19:22 +0100 BST

Hi all,

I seem to recall reading somewhere that for copyright reasons OBOS R1
will have a new name, and also have a completly new set of icons.
However, looking at the Default Decorator for the App Server and the
interface kit code, it appears these areas are sticking very closely to
the R5 design - AFAIK, pixel-for-pixel for a lot of the interface kit
code.

Although R5 does look pretty good, it is begin to look dated compared
to more modern interfaces.

Is there any chance we could have a UI redisgn for R1? I'm not asking
for complete interface skinning (not sure I ever want that) - but a
redesign interface kit components and default decorator.

Stuart (team lead of the Creative Design Team) posted some mock ups of
a possible future OBOS GUI on the web (site down at the moment). I have
copied-and-pasted bits from these mockups over the top of a screenshot
of an R5 app I was working on to show how old apps could look if
interface controls and decorators were drawn differently. I
purposefully haven't moved any of the controls - to show how an old app
designed with the R5 look in mind could still look cool with a modern
interface redesign.

More discussion and mock-up app shot at:
http://si-msn.port5.com/OBOS-Look.html

Altering a few lines of code in the Draw() methods of interface items
would not affect binary compatibility, but will completely alter a
user's perception of the OS. A new, modern look would re-enliven the
entire OS, and help to set apart OBOS R1 as being "newer and better
than BeOS R5" (many at the moment see it as a clone, instead of a
binary-compatible API reimplementation).

Thoughts/comments?

Simon T.

ps: Keep up the great work guys - I can't wait to boot OBOS off my HDD!

pps: Any chance of posting some more news to the front page? First
successful messaging test using 100% OBOS code seems like a newsworthy
item to me ;)