[haiku] Re: Vim 7.2

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 19:39:26 -0700

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mizsei Zoltán wrote:
>>
>> 2009.04.26. 09:43:23 dátumon Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> írta:
>>
>>> (I ported SQLite too :) You have own version?)

>> Noo :) I ony learn how to port *nix apps to Haiku.
>>

> Nice to see lots of guys working on ports. Usually it's only necessary to
> post information about difficult ports, if something just works we don't
> normally care too much. A simple message saying "this one just works" on the
> Trac database would be useful though, for information. And maybe any special
> entries needed for the ./configure step.
>
> An example is one package I had trouble with recently, because it was
> looking for libm and libc and assuming it was in *nix. But if you specified
> `--with-LIBM=-lroot --with-LIBC=-lroot` then it worked.
>
> Rob

For porting talk, let's move that over to the HaikuPorts mailing
lists, that's why they exist.
http://ports.haiku-files.org/
We now have 10 or so semi-active porters, so check what's been ported,
check the open tickets and see where you want to help out if you are
interested.
And if something "just works" we like to know that, but we also like
to know that whoever did the footwork went the extra step to check for
BeOS cases and see if they are really still needed, as many cases they
aren't now, but if you leave them in it may fall back to some
sub-optimal BeOS compatibility mode.  Filling in a portlog for each
port you do make it easy to check what's been tried before, just
posting sketchy steps what you've done to the mailing list is harder
to locate.

I usually run grep -nri 'beos' * and check to see if there's any red
flags that need investigating.
-scottmc