[openbeos] Re: VMWare opens their tools software

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:49:44 -0700

On 9/11/07, Brian Verre <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Zenja!
>
> http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/
>
> From the README file in source, under known issues:
>
> (*)Building with GCC versions before 3.0 will fail. GCC will complain that
> "-fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-unused-value are invalid options", and fails to
> build "vm_atomic.h" saying that "a forbidden register was spilled", or
> "-Wno-unused-value does not exist".
>
> If that dual GCC2/GCC4 binary support project is in the works for Haiku,
> open-vm-tools might be a good test candidate.

I'm not sure the Open VMW Tools offer much that will benefit Haiku
users at this point.. Maybe the file transfer support feature would be
nice.

Still, it's neat that they've decided to open them up, and I'd be
interested to see if they're willing to work with Haiku devs to port
the tools as they seem to indicate.

The VMW Tools on BeBits sort of work in Haiku already - specifically
the clipboard server does allow you to copy/paste text back and forth
with the host. The vmw_mouse input_server addon is extremely flaky in
Haiku at the moment.

- Urias