[openbeos] Re: VLC

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 03:04:09 +0100 CET

Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx>:

> Mikael Jansson (mailing lists) wrote:
> > Have you looked at the actual Trac? 0.10dev has support for other
> > SCMs
> > than Subversion, and there's a bunch of plugins doing the missing
> > things, which I hope will be soon incorporated into the main tree.
>
> Well, I'd love to use Trac, but there are a few issues:
> It's difficult to install.
> AFAIK, there is no possibility to allow for open-registration (any
> user
> can register).

Charlie, care to chip in here?

> The ticket interface is a little bit overloaded and some
> fields should be replaced with other things.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is overloaded with it? I believe
the ticket system can be fairly easily customized using a template.
Should be a lot easier than to completely rewrite the ticket system,
don't you think? :)

> > Just seems like a waste of time to duplicate the effort?  The
> > timeline
> > and roadmap features of Trac are really nice, too.  I personally
> > don't
> > understand why Haiku didn't go for Trac instead of Bugzilla...
>
> Timeline and Roadmap will be part of my solution, too. In fact,
> please
> take a look at
> http://collaboa.org
> It already has everything implemented. I'm just going to add a few
> more
> (very important) features and simplify the UI a little bit.

Not re-using someone else's solution just because it doesn't do exactly
the last 10% the way you want them to be done, and roll your own stuff,
is generally a bad idea.  There is a *lot* of active development going
on with Trac, and there are quite a lot more active devs. Oh, NIH is
the real term for it.

-- Mikael
"Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program
 contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden
 slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."      -- Philip Greenspun