[openbeos] Re: Using GPL-ed sources as the reference

  • From: Norman Robinson <norman_b_robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:59:43 -0700 (PDT)

No.

You cannot take the code and relicense it without the
original author's permission. You *CAN* ask the author
to grant you a specific license (in your case a  BSD
license) if you get it in writing. They are the
copyright (or copyleft in this instance ;) holder and
can grant as many individual licenses as they want.

I read your post. This isn't a clean-room
implementation. You just want to 'reference' source
code - one of the problems of knowledge, intent, and
purpose in having source code means that any
implementation you create is questionable. Even if
they reverse engineered the code from a closed,
proprietary source it isn't 'open' in the sense that
they own the code. GPL is no different than any
proprietary license (pretend you have Microsoft's code
in hand - treat it the same as that unless you are
producing a GPL version). If you do use the GPL code
and someone gets wind of it, they could force you to
withdraw your code entirely or require you accept
their license/make it GPL.

If they didn't get a license from the vendor and they
did reverse engineer it, they worked hard for their
efforts. The easiest thing would be to ask for
permission for a custom license just-in-case. I'd hate
for your hard work to be brought into question.

Hope this helps,

Norman