[openbeos] Re: Using GPL-ed sources as the reference

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:53:06 +0200

Hallo, Adam

I think your best bet is to contact the original authors of the code and
ask for permission to simply use their code as a point of reference.  If
they say yes, ask for it in writing :-)  If they say no, your probably
better of going elsewhere for that info (the BSD umass code?).  Even if

Unfortunately, BSD umass.c code contains support only for standard protocols.

it's legal to look ove rthe code and use it as a reference, you probably
don't want to get on their bad side and risk anything.

Adam

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Siarzhuk Zharski wrote:

The Question: Can I use this source as reference information about
FREECOM protocol for writing my own implementation under BSD license?
No, I'm not going to copy-paste any info from original sources. Work
with USB in Linux and BeOS is different - no chance to re-use. Only
ideas. I need just information how to initialize device, read/write
data, handle errors etc.

Kind Regards, S.Zharski