[openbeos] Re: Updating team page?

  • From: "Rogier van der Hee" <rogier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:27:23 +0100

> could create/edit a URL containing a task list in a simple format --
> the team page would then just read and display this on loading. Erik
> was suggesting XML for the format, but I was going for something
> simpler. If you have any extra ideas on this, let me know. I do want to make
> the process of tracking status simpler and more automatic.

We could whip up a MySQL database, shouldn't be that hard. Just a lot of work,
if you want to do it right ;-). But this needs to change fast, because the main
site is now only used for news and team members.

I just finished a MySQL based login system for groups, that could be used. With
a single line you can protect pages for a certain group. Why not something like
that: a login option at the home page, and based on groups the user is in, he
is presented with a number of options, after logging in:

- Change progress of his team, change milestones (lead only?)
- Change text of his team (lead only?)
- Change personal status (task)
- Upload a file (DarkWyrms Prototypes)
- CVS things (?)
- Other things.

And as the Preferences teams shows and for clarity of team members, I think it
is a good idea to have a distribution of tasks over people. Or what they are
currently doing, busy with work or available or something. With this new influx
of people this would ease the distribution of work. Also, it would ease the
task of the team lead, who can easily oversee who's doing what and ask for
progress updates. Sounds like a bit disciplined, but the larger you grow, the
more you need it.

I like the IK central page a lot. I think it is good to transfer this to the
main OpenBeOS site. I would be willing to help with laying out a database
scheme and such, but for the rest I have a moral obligation to finish another
site first ;-).

Also more in general, I think it is good idea to try to capture the discussions
here about kits / servers font sensitivity and such into small, definitive
answers. So everybody knows that Font sensitivity is not for R1, else RTFM.
This could be FAQ's or newsletter articles. It is waste to let all these
discussions blow away in the sucky Freelist archives.

Rogier
--
http://www.vanderhee.net