[haiku] Re: Updated website pages online for peer review

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:53:46 +0200

Jorge G. Mare wrote:
I have started updating the content on the new website; the following are a few
pages
that have been updated and are now online for peer review:

Very nice work! Thanks Jorge!

http://production.web.haiku-os.org/slideshows/haiku-tour

The screenshot tour is a good idea. Unfortunately, the 800x600 size of the
shots just
barely fit a regular browser window. For most, the caption below the
screenshots will be
out of sight.
How about putting the caption above the images and try to crop images. IMO it
doesn't
always have to be a full-size screenshot. It's OK to cut out single windows
like for the
user guide.

The following are mostly minor typos:

http://production.web.haiku-os.org/about/faq

| Do you have a roadmap?
|
|There is nothing really engraved in stone, but you can get an idea from this
view of
|current milestones and the Future Haiku Features page on our development
website. [top]

Is "engraved in stone" really the right idiom? I'm no native, but I'd go with "set
in stone".

http://production.web.haiku-os.org/community/getting-involved

|Hardware - Spare parts, in good shape, can be a help when someone wants to
donate without
|having much in their wallet. Working hardware components are necessary to
write drivers.
|Sometimes Haiku developers need replacement components for a development
machine. Sending
|an e-mail to the Haiku mailing list, or posting a message in the forums are
two good ways
|to let the community know you have someone to donate.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^
As long as Axel doesn't need a new retina or pancreas, this should be
"something".

|Marketing – Open source software can provide a viable alternative to
businesses who wish
|to distance themselves from proprietary software and who would like to be
involved in the
|developement of their platform of choice.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That would be "development".

|Legal expertise is a great opportunity for someone to be a sizable help Haiku
without
|having to do much.                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That would be "sizeable help for" (or is it "...to"?).

|A person with experience in graphic design has potential to be very a great
help in...
                                                               ^^^^^^^^^
That would be "to be a very great help".

|The current situation is passable and several on the Haiku project have these
skills,
|people dedicated to maintaining and updating content on both the Haiku and
WalterCon...
^^^
Here a new sentence should be started. At least it's quite a long and a bit odd
sentence.

|The forums on the main site are one of the first stops for people wanting to
submit ideas
|and to ask for help about various BeOS-related problems
                                  ^^^^^^
That would be "Haiku".

http://production.web.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc

|... but has also translated into community growth, as a several former GSoC
students have
|become active long-term Haiku contributors over time.^^^

- "a"

http://production.web.haiku-os.org/community/hcd/2009

Tom Fairfield and his Services Kit aren't part of the HCD 2009, as Tom got a
chance to
work on a research program of his university (how's that going for you, Tom, if
you read
this?).
In his stead, Raghu Nagireddy worked with his mentor stippi on BFS support
under FUSE.

http://production.web.haiku-os.org/community/sites

The section "Please Add My Project!" is duplicated right below it as "Tell us
about your
site!"

http://production.web.haiku-os.org/about/trademark_policy

|Haiku and the Haiku logo are trademarks of Haiku, Inc. The objective of this
policy is to
|encourage and allow widespread use of the Haiku name and logo while protect it
from usage
|which would threaten...                                            ^^^^^^^^^

That would be "protecting".

http://production.web.haiku-os.org/development

|While we encourage using Haiku to build Haiku and/or software for Haiku, it is
also
|possible to do cross-compile from other operating systems. If you choose to
cross-compile
            ^^^^
- "do"

|from another system, the Pre-Requisite Software for Compiling Haiku guide may
be a good
|reference for each supported development environments.
That would be "environment".

Again, nice work everyone!

Regards,
Humdinger