[haiku] Re: Updated website pages online for peer review

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:47:14 +0200 CEST

"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have started updating the content on the new website; the following
> are a few pages that have been updated and are now online for peer
> review:
>
> http://production.web.haiku-os.org/about

1. I've never really liked the following content, in the old
form or in this new form. It doesn't really say anything
(relative to what everyone else is saying about their projects)
except that Haiku is open source and inspired by the BeOS.

"Haiku is an open source operating system currently in
development that specifically targets personal computing.
Inspired by the Be Operating System, Haiku aims to become
a fast, efficient, simple to use, easy to learn and yet
very powerful system for computer users of all levels."

2. I'm not so fond of the expression "means to an end".
Especially not "the ideal means to the end of personal
computing". I understand what it means. I just think it
back-fires. ("the end of personal computing") I would
cut out any and all use of "means to an end".

3. Are the grey boxes with links in serif font meant
to be BButtons? I think the serif font looks a bit odd.

4. Spelling: "key hihglights".

> http://production.web.haiku-os.org/about/faq

1. [Track and Deskbar] "were open sourced by Be Inc. back
in 2001, later forked under the OpenTracker project"

I might be remembering it wrong, but I don't think there
was an actual fork. Wasn't OpenTracker Be's initiative?

2. spelling: "ehen a stage is reached"

> http://production.web.haiku-os.org/about/history
>
> The above page is not meant to be all-inclusive; if you know of any
> milestone worth listing, please let me know.
>
> http://production.web.haiku-os.org/about/codebase

I expected more focus on Haiku itself and less on the
external code we put to good use. Some people might get
the impression that we're just another distro, and that
one can easily get something akin to Haiku by simply
stringing together agg+freetype+ffmpeg.

I think the page would be great as it is if the title
was not "Haiku Code Base" but instead "Other People's
code you may recognize in Haiku" or "Code we stole"
or whatever, and making it clear that those are just
pieces of Haiku.

Hopefully constructive,
Jonas.