[openbeos] Re: Understanding PKG

  • From: Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:12:41 -0800 (PST)

PKG uses gzip? Let me head of a reinvention.

The Translator Kit supports all sorts of data. It would be nice and hopefully
non breaking to add another type: octet-stream, i.e. binary.

This would allow translation to gzip, bzip2, deflate, compress, mime64, hex
etc. It would also allow their chaining so you could gzip then mime encode; for
mail.

Great for PKG, BeMail, HTTP/1.1 clients etc.

I was looking at implementing it. But since that will take forever. I am
happier for someone with speed to beat me to it.

Bernd, I also think it would be great on Zeta.

Also if some one wants to tackle the trickier archive translator for tar, zip,
7z, rar, multi-part-mime etc ...