[openbeos] USB support (Was: Drivers and you)

  • From: philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:47:24 +0200 (MEST)

>> Without a "rescan <driver_name>", the R5 kernel will not
>> load the new driver image, no.
>> You also could be facing a "still one app using the driver
>> entry/ies" issue, so that kernel can't unload current driver
>> image...
>
> You know, I read every Newsletter article, and the entire driver section of
> the BeBook last night, and I don't think that I ever saw this. I got warned
> 93 times about what not to do inside a spinlock, though. :-)

:-)

Oh, btw, don't forget the all new BeDriverTalk ML, which could
be helpfull too... cf. http://www.bedrivers.com

> What I am writing is a replacement for USBD, so that wouldn't really be
> what I want to do. :-)

Hey, great news!
BTW, where's the usb_kit in OpenBeOS? No team, no dedicated ML yet?
Could you tell us more about your USBD driver(s?) replacement?
I, for one, will like talking about OpenBeOS USB support,
binary compatibility, etc.

>> Or, you call USB module register_driver() hook in init_hardware(),
>> instead of init_driver()?
>
> No, but I bet that has been done about a billion times by differnet
> people. :-)

Oh, come on! If we did have billion USB BeOS drivers projects,
BeOS would have a far better USB devices support today!
:-)

-Philippe