[openbeos] Re: USB status/progress

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:54:01 +0100 CET

Hi Niels,

in fact, I was reading through your code the other day. I was doing a
checkout of Haiku and discovered, that someone was working on a USB
stack. I was very happy to see that, as I always felt, this is a really
important feature. While I was looking through your code, I could see
no obvious errors, I was just interested in how you designed and
implemented it. Of course, I have no clue about USB bus managers, and
their design needs. I didn't even have enough of a clue on the subject
to judge how far down the road you are... I think once you have
developed something, that can be used and tested, you will get a lot
more attention and feedback, and it will also encourage other
developers to join forces with you. Don't let the lack of feedback
discourage you. I know exactly how that feels, but rest assured, your
work is appreciated nonetheless, and other people or just busy with
their own work (as in other parts of Haiku), which does not at all mean
they don't take notice of your contribution. It's just that even though
they might have looked at your code, like I did, they probably didn't
feel anything wrong with it and just wanted to wait for some testable
results. Please, by all means, keep at it! Maybe you can write Carlos
Hasan to see how he feels about helping you out. I know he has done
some stuff for Haiku previously, and back when Be was alive, I was
chatting with him from time to time, and he had some ideas about
wanting to rewrite the USB stack. He has driver development experience
(ATI TV-In), and obviously some thoughts on the implementation of a USB
stack. Also, I'm sure that Thomas Kurschel will help you out if you
have questions regarding his new Haiku driver model. Just ask him
directly, it might take two or three days for him to answer, but
usually, he is very throughough. Last but not least, I would highly
recommend attending the next BeGeistert event, you get to meet a lot of
the active Haiku people in person! I'm sure Ingo Weinhold and Axel
Dörfler, Thomas Kurschel, Marcus Overhagen and Rudolf Kornelissen will
all be there.

Best regards,
-Stephan