[haiku] Re: US Week Numbers

  • From: Izomiac <haikulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:49:52 -0400

OK, I figure a picture should help explain the problem with US week
numbers.

<http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1817/weeknumbers.png>

Basically, ISO stipulates that weeks go from Monday to Sunday, so it can't
be directly used if weeks don't start on Monday.  For weeks that start on
Sunday (US weeks) I have several options:  "Pseudo ISO" (use the ISO week
number of the Monday of that week), First full week (more common US
standard), Jan 1st is week one (less common US standard), or a few others.
These systems also differ about what to do with week 53, but that's a less
serious concern.

Using the various systems, October 17th is either week 41, 42, or 43.  I
plan to assume ISO weeks if the week starts on a Monday and "yet another"
system if it starts on a Saturday, but what system(s) would be preferred for
weeks starting on a Sunday?  Is there any demand for me to add options for
the other numbering systems?

"Pseudo ISO" seems most consistent with the suggestions thus far.