[haiku] Re: US Week Numbers

  • From: Izomiac <haikulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 19:58:04 -0400

I'm debating about using the locale kit.  I'll definitely look into it, and
probably use it since it's a better solution, but I don't want to break BeOS
compatibility without a good reason.  For now, I'm mostly just writing out
month names to minimize date formatting issues, and giving options as to
which day to start the week.

The issue I'm dealing with is that there are six ways (<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week_number#Week_number>) to number weeks.  I
could provide options for every possible standard, but that makes things
complicated for anyone unfamiliar with the different standards.

For example, today (Sat, Oct. 17th) we're in the 42nd week by the European
system, but the 41st by the most common system used in the US.  So would it
be preferable to label this week as the 41st for US calendars, or fudge the
ISO definition a bit and label it as the 42nd?  I think most calendar
programs do the latter so everyone is using the same week number for
business days.