[openbeos] Re: UDF 0.7.0 Released

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:33:06 +0100 BST

> Howdy folks,
>
> Version 0.7.0 of my UDF filesystem add-on is now available from:
>
> http://www.bebits.com/app/3528
>
> This release includes full multi-session support, and for those of
> you who
> didn't pick up the unannounced 0.6.1 release, also includes a fix for
> a bug
> encountered when copying files from a UDF disc using Tracker or the
> cp
> command.
>
> I'd like to add support for reading DirectCD discs next, but at the
> moment
> I have no way to create any DirectCD discs for testing. So, if any of
> you
> out there who use DirectCD would be willing to get a disc image or
> two to
> me, I'd be happy to try and get things working. As to how exactly one
> should go about doing that, here follows what I would try. If anyone
> knows
> of a better way to do this, I'd be happy to hear it. :-)

> ------
> 1. Create a new disc with DirectCD containing two small text files,
> each
> with a short, unique bit of text in them. For example, "Test file
> one" in
> the first file and "Test file two" in the second would be sufficient.
> Name
> them whatever you like.
>
> 2. Create a disc image in BeOS using the following command from a
> terminal:
>
> cat /dev/disk/ide/atapi/1/master/0/raw > ~/Desktop/DirectCD.img
>
> Your CD-ROM device might be named differently than mine, thus the
> "/dev/disk/..." path may need to be modified accordingly, but it
> ought to
> be something similar. cat will probably exit with some sort of error
> once
> it hits the unrecorded portion of the disc (I usually get a "device
> format
> error"), but that should be okay, as long as the file it created is
> larger
> than 0 bytes.
>
> 3. Zip up the image.
>
> 4. Send it to me. You can either just email it to me, or if you'd
> rather
> ftp it to me, let me know and I can give you a server name and a
> login you
> can use.
>
> I would try the above on an unclosed disc first, and if it doesn't
> look
> like it worked right, close the disc and try it again. I think you'll
> end
> up with a fairly reasonably sized zip file, probably a few MB at
> most. If
> it turns out to be significantly more than that, let me know, and
> perhaps
> I'll have to work out a way for someone to send me a CD through
> [...]

Hi Tyler,

I was the one who mentioned DirectCD on BeBits talkback.

The problem I have is I only have one monitor, and the CD-R is in the
other machine. I did plug it in the other day, stuck a blank in,
initialised it for Direct CD, and copied a file across. Ejected and
selected to "leave as is", and switched back to this machine (the new
one). I've only got a DVD in this box, and the drive didn't recognise
it as a disk at all - lit up for a couple of minutes before reporting
"no media" in both windows and BeOS.

I will do some more experiments and try and get some images to you
today.

> As always, please let me know if you come across any unsupported
> discs
> (other than DirectCD discs), or if you have any other troubles with
> it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Tyler

Simon