[openbeos] UDF 0.7.0 Released

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenBeOS <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:13:17 -0700

Howdy folks,

Version 0.7.0 of my UDF filesystem add-on is now available from:

http://www.bebits.com/app/3528

This release includes full multi-session support, and for those of you who
didn't pick up the unannounced 0.6.1 release, also includes a fix for a bug
encountered when copying files from a UDF disc using Tracker or the cp
command.

I'd like to add support for reading DirectCD discs next, but at the moment
I have no way to create any DirectCD discs for testing. So, if any of you
out there who use DirectCD would be willing to get a disc image or two to
me, I'd be happy to try and get things working. As to how exactly one
should go about doing that, here follows what I would try. If anyone knows
of a better way to do this, I'd be happy to hear it. :-)

1. Create a new disc with DirectCD containing two small text files, each
with a short, unique bit of text in them. For example, "Test file one" in
the first file and "Test file two" in the second would be sufficient. Name
them whatever you like.

2. Create a disc image in BeOS using the following command from a terminal:

cat /dev/disk/ide/atapi/1/master/0/raw > ~/Desktop/DirectCD.img

Your CD-ROM device might be named differently than mine, thus the
"/dev/disk/..." path may need to be modified accordingly, but it ought to
be something similar. cat will probably exit with some sort of error once
it hits the unrecorded portion of the disc (I usually get a "device format
error"), but that should be okay, as long as the file it created is larger
than 0 bytes.

3. Zip up the image.

4. Send it to me. You can either just email it to me, or if you'd rather
ftp it to me, let me know and I can give you a server name and a login you
can use.

I would try the above on an unclosed disc first, and if it doesn't look
like it worked right, close the disc and try it again. I think you'll end
up with a fairly reasonably sized zip file, probably a few MB at most. If
it turns out to be significantly more than that, let me know, and perhaps
I'll have to work out a way for someone to send me a CD through postal mail.

As always, please let me know if you come across any unsupported discs
(other than DirectCD discs), or if you have any other troubles with it.

Thanks!

-Tyler