[haiku] Re: Try it! Stack and Tile

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:08:12 +0200

Am 04.09.2010 03:06, schrieb Clemens Zeidler:
Am 03.09.2010, 22:57 Uhr, schrieb Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:

Am 03.09.2010 12:16, schrieb Gregor Rosenauer:
Wow please enable this in the default image so more people with less
time;) can play around with it.

+1.

I'm always intrigued by novel user interface ideas and wanted to write
something like this back when developing The Dark Site.

This could be one of the user-visible differentiators to other modern
desktops and certainly an edge over the ever-so-innovative MacOS X in
this regard...

Don't forget that KDE has this as well now. But it will be nice to
make this a feature with persistency (i.e. add support for it in all
apps that ship with Haiku, at least where it makes sense).

First thanks for all your bug reports! will target them in the next
iteration.
Yes persistence and session manager are more or less the same problem
and I really like to make Stack and Tile group persistence. Anybody
already has some good idea how to store a state of an application in the
best way?

If I recall correctly, the state can already be persistent, if an application stores and restores the BWindow::GetDecoratorSettings() (?) BMessage. Only Tracker does this as of now. I like this solution, since I don't think it's the job of app_server to remember settings for each and every app you have ever run and things can be complicated on the side of the application. For example, a window may or may not correspond to another persistent object. In Tracker, windows correspond to persistent folders (if you run the intended spatial mode), or in Pe, windows correspond to text files. Their settings are spatial and remembered per file. MediaPlayer is a different beast, because of the playlist support. WebPositive can display multiple websites in one window, most of them will not correspond to a persistent object. It's difficult for app_server to do something smart here, that's why I think it's better left to the application via the existing mechanism (persistent window group IDs). What do you think?

Best regards,
-Stephan