[haiku] Re: Translation in context (was: Re: How to participate in localization of Haiku)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 15:41:04 +0200 CEST

PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:
> > I think it would be possible to make a separate inspection/
> > translation application, which you would run along-side the
> > application you're translating. You'd be interacting normally
> > with the application and switch to the inspection tool to do
> > translation.
> Don't you think you are a bit overengineering it ?

I think the basic idea is good. Sure it can be made simpler.
E.g. displaying a view hiearchy isn't necessary. Just make
it a flat list with optional hiding of catalog entries not
currently showing in the target application.

Think of it as a catalog editor, which if desired can be
application context aware.

> Actually, the Locale Kit should support reloading of a
> catalog when you switch to a new preferred language in the
> preflet.

Yes, if that works there should be no need for any string
injection via app scripting. App scripting is still useful
to learn which strings are currently in context. The API
is there, so why not use it?

> As for lookup, it is possible to look at the context and
> comment of the string in the catfile. If localization is
> done right, this should be enough to find them out easily
> in the window.

I think the tool I sketched would provide a better user
experience, for translators, than trying to guess how
what the programmer wrote maps to what's on screen.

> An online translation tool could sort strings by context
> and display a screenshot of the apps with the english
> strings, showing the said context (often a view of the
> application). When translating, it is possible to have as
> many contexts as you want. So translators should get enough
> help with that...

Sure that could work too, but someone would have to prepare
and update screenshots to cover all parts of the app, and
tie each context to a certain screenshot. And someone would
have to build/maintain that website.

My editor and this webservice do not exclude each other.
The editor could make use of the web service too and the
web service would likely interface the Haiku source repo
(naturally with some admin supervision, to filter submissions).

/Jonas.