[haiku] Trademark registration (was Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.)

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:39:46 +0100 CET

> Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > so I guess we'll have to file separately for the name and logo
>
> Usually it's both at the same time, IIRC from the last time I looked
> at
> it. If it's cheaper in France, we could try the EU way first as well
> (François more or less volunteered last time).

I didn't say it was cheaper, I said it was not always the same price
depending on where you start.

For ex, in france it's 225EUR for a trademark registration, for 10
years (it's always 10y everywhere anyway).

This includes possibly a "semi-graphical" mark (ie. both the name
"Haiku" and the logo "Haiku" at the same time, no need to waste money
on dups), for a selected list of good/service in up to 3 main
categories (a trademark is never registered absolutely, only for types
of "good & services") in the Nice classification:
http://www.wipo.int/classifications/nice/en/classifications.html
see for ex, class 38, and mostly 42 (eh!).

Then you can apply for protection in other countries called
international trademark, but actually more like a checklist of which
countries you want to protect your tm in, like the US, some EU
countries (or the EU as a whole, communautary mark), japan... each adds
a different fee to the bill.

See the fee calculator (both online & xls):
http://www.wipo.int/madrid/en/fees/

Would be interesting to search for TM from Microsoft, Apple and others
first :
Madrid Express tm search:
http://www.wipo.int/ipdl/en/search/madrid/search-struct.jsp

François.