[haiku] Re: Trademark

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:01:31 -0700

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 15:52 -0500, Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems
wrote:
> > Both are trademarks, and both will get registered.
>
> Ok, got it, thanks Koki.  So to be sure I understand it exactly right, the
> word Haiku and the Haiku logo are ok to use as a way of indicating the
> product "contains Haiku," but any product containing haiku shouldn't include
> Haiku in the product name, and any product logo shouldn't contain the haiku
> logo.  Sound about right?

In a very broad sense, yes. But since perception does not always match
intent, it is not possible to give a 100% certain answer without looking
at the specifics. If you showed me the specifics, I could give you a
more specific answer.

Also, my personal opinion is that commercial products that build on the
Haiku technology and benefit from the value proposition of its brand
should require a license on a case by case basis. This is not covered
anywhere currently, so it's not something that you have to worry about
now; but it may change in the future.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki