[openbeos] Tracker/Deskbar Settings

  • From: Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku General ML <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:18:46 +0200

Hi there.

I think the notion has been stated before (and it was decided to include it in a future all out overhaul of Tracker?):

It's probably better to have the Tracker and Deskbar settings in their own panels together with all the other Preferences and a simple link to them in the Tracker/Deskbar menu.

Esp. the Deskbar settings are quite annoying, with their many toggleable options that are destined to be checkboxes. The "Configure Leaf Menu..." should of course also be integrated there on another tab.

Speaking of which... IMO the "Leaf" menu is badly named. One day we could decide to replace the current leaf (which many think is a feather...) and then not only a few strings in the code have to be changed, but also the documentation all over the web will become inaccurate.
I think *Deskbar Menu* is more generic and therefore preferable.

While the Tracker and Deskbar settings as preference panels should of course wait until after the Alpha (or even Beta) release, I'd really like a decision on the leaf thing sooner. User documentation is slowly starting to get addressed and it would help to get the terminology right from the start.

Another thing is the usage of "Find..." in the menus and the term Query (as in "Save Query", "QueryTemplates" etc.) It would be best to keep one term. Though I see, of course, that ALT+F is easier associated with "Find"...

Regards,
Humdinger

--
Deutsche Haiku News @ http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com