[openbeos] Re: Tool tips (was Re: Quick questions on Filetypes and Tracker)

  • From: "Evan Anderson" <evan.k.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:13:40 -0700

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:34 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> IMHO the status bar is actually not a particularly good option for
> mouse-over info, because its location is often quite a bit away from the
> mouse location, ...<snip>... A status bar should really be left to things
> related to its name, i.e. displaying a status.

Also, many applications don't actually have a status bar at the bottom
of the screen.  Unless there's a lot of background messages that need
to be displayed to the user, there's not a lot of reason to have one
rather than saving a text-line worth of space on your window.

IMO, we should have tooltip delays, disable, and the ability to set
the font and so forth in the API.  And in the general interface
preferences, there should be a checkbox that says "disable tooltips".

More advanced users may want to install a preference pane to tweak the
tooltips; for example, some users may want much larger text if they
have poor eyesight.  Having this capability in the API allows us to
add these sorts of features later, but we don't have to expose the
full power of the API in the preferences.

While we're thinking about accessibility, it seems like the ability to
have e.g. text-to-speech tools read the tooltips would encourage a
backup text option even if we can support the power of a BView.