[openbeos] Re: Tool tips (was Re: Quick questions on Filetypes and Tracker)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:01:56 +0200 CEST

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm fine with making it possible to enable/disable tool tips on a
> system-wide and per-application basis -- maybe even make it a three-
> level
> setting (show all/show info (but no help)/show none) -- but I
> wouldn't try
> to force applications to practically not use them with the argument
> that
> otherwise the user disabling them would lose information. If the user
> disables them, it's really her own fault.

It just depends on how it's used. For example, if you mouse over a
truncated text in, for example, a Tracker attribute, it would be nice
if that is shown completely as a tool tip. Likewise, Tracker's "Get
Info" panel already shows a tool tip when you mouse over a truncated
path (ie. a symbolic link target).

It really doesn't make any sense to turn off that feature ever, though,
IMO, so maybe more fine graded control would be needed if we choose to
make it possible to disable them.

Bye,
   Axel.