[openbeos] Re: Tool tips (was Re: Quick questions on Filetypes and Tracker)

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:07:05 -0400

Replying to everyone:

Yes having the tool tips be either a BView or a string is nice. I also
appreciate in Linux how the tool tip can update live while it is
showing.  I'm not sure if Windows tool tips can also do that, but I
think that would be good for our version.

In regards to tool tips sometimes being annoying, I can understand
that perspective. I personally find them quite useful, and am annoyed
when applications don't have them (in particular in tool bars with
icons that I cannot identify.) But I could see having an option to
enable or disable them, at least in tool bars or other normal
interface elements.

But I think that inside a browser window, for things like HTML title
attributes, image captions and abbreviations they should always be on.
And this use case is the main reason I would like them added to Haiku.
Though it probably would not be that bad to just add them to whatever
browser application is created. But if there are some other uses for
them in Haiku then adding them at the system level would be good too.
I'm not extremely passionate about either choice, but one thing I
would not want to see is a bunch of duplicate code where each
application has its own tool tip implementation with different
options, different looks, and inconsistent behavior.

So if there are more uses than just a browser (like LaunchBox, or the
Mail tool bar), let's just add tool tips to Haiku itself. Then we can
also have a global preference for them, with the kind of options that
have been mentioned and what Robert Polic talked about in his article:
enabled, font, delay before showing, length of time shown, and only
show once per view (with the latter four under an advanced option
section.) Though now that I think about it, maybe we don't need the
advanced options if the default values are good...

Regards,
Ryan