[haiku] Re: Tips on making presentations about Haiku

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:34:43 -0700

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
I am going to have two opportunities in the next month to make some
presentations about Haiku.

<snip>

Here are a few key aspects that I usually focus on; this is mostly based on what I have noticed in the many times that I have presented/demoed Haiku over the years and in the context of a general -- mostly non-technical -- introduction, so not all of it may apply to you; but hopefully it can still useful at least as reference. :)

#Responsiveness of the system

Talk about how efficient Haiku is thanks to is multi-threadedness; show the servers/apps and their threads (and various priorities) in ProcessController; stress the system by running multiple videos and show how the system remains responsive even if you turn off one CPU/core: use Pulse to do this and to visually show the (high) CPU load. Putting this in the context of modern multi processor/core modern desktops as well as netbooks and other smaller form factor devices makes a lot of people nod.

#BFS/live queries

Before running a live query demo, show how Tracker exposes extended attributes; for example, create an empty folder and show the Attributes menu before and after you move an attributed (say, a People) file into that folder; then show the various extended attributes and how how they can be even edited directly in Tracker (the file manager becomes a front-end to the database-like file system).

To engage your audience, you could (I always do) create a People file with the data from someone from the audience (just get the name, city and country); create a query where that person meets the criteria (this goes to show how a easy it is to create a query); then change the People file data back and forth so that the above-mentioned People file appears/disappears from the query (this helps visualize how live queries work). Show how easy it is to save the query to the desktop using D&D.

#Data translators

Show how easy it is to convert a graphic image (or part of it) from one format to another. This is what I usually do: take a screenshot of the User Guide welcome page, open it in ShowImage, select the logo and D&D it on the desktop; repeat the same, but use the right mouse button so that you can select the file format when you D&D the clip on the desktop. I always install the GOCR data translator (http://www.bebits.com/app/4098) to show how easy it is to take a block of text from a bitmap image and convert it into text using D&D (from ShowImage). Emphasize the modular aspect that allows adding data translators to expand the capabilities of the system and applications.

#Media Kit

Run multiple audio/video in MediaPlayer, as many as your PC will bear w/o dropping frames/sound. Show smooth scaling. Show how you can change the volume of each MediaPlayer instance separately (using the Audio Mixer in the Media preferences applet). Do a quick demo of Clockwerk, including (particularly?) how it renders videos using the Media Kit encoders. BeAE (http://www.bebits.com/app/4611/) is also a nice app that you can use to demo media capabilities.

#Code base

A lot of people don't understand the Haiku code base. I always try to educate them in terms of what the Haiku code base is comprised of: a lot of home brew code, but also (the fork of) the NewOS kernel, OpenTracker (open sourced by Be Inc.), FreeType, AGG, FFMPEG and other open source software. Note the fact that Haiku includes the GNU tool chain, GCC, bash, etc.; many people don't know this.

#Why not Linux?

I simply tell people that Linux is great, and that in fact I even use it; but that at the same we think there is a better, easier, more end-user focused approach to personal computing, and that is what Haiku aims to become. When you put that in the context of the what makes Haiku unique and (at least potentially) better, most people understand.

#History & people

When giving a presentation, I usually start by putting Haiku in the context of the history of BeOS (I have a timeline slide for that). That and putting a face to the project by giving the audience an idea of who we are, how many and where serves as a good intro to get the audience warmed up. Be brief though.

In general, I have come to the conclusion that people seem to relate better to the solution that Haiku aims to provide when presented with a well-prepared live demo rather than a verbal presentation with slides. Of course it all depends on the topic and your audience; but if I were to be asked to give a general Haiku introduction presentation today, I would probably dedicate the first 10 - 15 minutes (at most) with a few slides (say, no more than 10) and then show the system doing a live demo, to end with a Q&A session towards the end.

Finally, prepare in advance and don't assume everything will work as expected; For example, make sure that the audio/video files you plan to use for your demo play well in the MediaPlayer; in the case of live queries, make sure what the queries you plan to demo actually work; it can (does) happen that they don't. ;)

Good luck with your presentations and if you need any specific help, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki