[haiku] Re: Time change philosophy

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 23:10:09 +0100

Le 7 nov. 2010 à 23:05, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> More curiosity than anything else, but why do BeOS and Haiku just
> *tell* you that your clock is wrong when there's a standard/daylight
> change, but Linux quietly resets the clock itself?  Is there some
> technical reason, or is it simply thought preferable to let the
> user know what's happening?  [I think I prefer the Linux way...]

Because BeOS and Haiku are desktop OSes, and want to let user know what's
happening and leave them in control.
Linux is a server OS, where things must just work with minimal user
intervention.

Also, notice Haiku asks if you want to change it, while Windows for ex, does
change it even though it tells you so, so you have to go to the control panel
to revert it if it was wrong.

François.