[openbeos] Re: Threading and File Descriptors

  • From: "Scott MacMaster" <zqxh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:17:54 -0400

> >Or we could as well be able to change some (MAX_FD) at runtime, so
increasing
> >it just before running critical progs (there is a defined interface for
this,
> >called ulimit()).
>
> This is more tempting.

If this could be made to be adjustable at runtime then it would make more
sense for the 'critical app' to call a function to adjust this value
instead.  I believe, this method would also allow you to have different
lookup algorithms for each process.  The process would just set the expected
number of file descriptors of something like that.  Then, you'd have the
most efficient lookup for each process.

Scott MacMaster

Introducing NetZero Long Distance