[openbeos] Re: Thoughts on an entire day's worth of discussion (LONG)

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:42:22 -0700

>We could make ours the "we're back and we're pissed" slogan
..
>(and triggered laughs from british people because of divergent
>meanings of words I heard :^)

Heh.  That *is* funny!

>What is important in the end is getting the thing out
>the door.. of course the weird thing is that some devs
>are de-motivated if they can't distribute their work to
>others, and some others are de-motivated if they have
>to disclose their work to the entire planet... ouch.

You're absolutely right on this.  I personally am very pragmatic about
the opensource thing -- my own project is closed source (because it
would be awfully nice to write a BeOS app for a living ;), so I'm hardly
a big OSS proponent.  An endevour like this only stands to benefit the
more people are involved, and opening the source is the easiest way to
make that happen.  Plus, nobody's going to care if my project goes the
way of the dinosaurs, but everybody here wants to see BeOS live on.
Again, opensource is the easiest and surest way to make that happen.

>Can't speak for the 4 others but I'm sure of one thing: my
>goal is BeOS, full stop. It's not really altrsuism, I dont
>wanna live in a Microsof world.

Amen to that.

>If the Open way proves to be
>better after a few months I'll be an instant convert
>(well except if the picked up licence is "GPL", you have to
>draw the line of opposite evil somewhere :-) and I hope too that
>everyone thinks the same

Nobody seems to be rooting for the GPL at this point; it seems pretty
likely we'll move ahead with MIT (which Michael favors) or BSD, etc.
Something that gets the source out there without a lot of strings
attached.

>A bit of diversity at the beginning would be good as more
>concrete material (prof of  concept of the ideas) rather than
>only theoritical discussions, but as you say it shouldn't
>last for too long or maybe none of the groups will make progress..

Agreed again.  Natural selection will eventually boil it all down a very
small number of projects, which will probably have very little in common
at the end of the day.

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams