[openbeos] Re: Thoughts on XFree86 development and how it effects OBOS

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:15:36 +0000

> Anyway... All of that aside... What I would really hope for (beyond all
> hoping) is that the OSS community realizes what a treasure that OBOS R1 is
> (when it comes out). That they put aside their interest in Linux on the
> desktop and come to the Light Side. In many, many ways, R5 is still better at
> an OS level that Linux, for end users. Configuration is one. One common set
> of libraries is another. The integrated widgets (instead of 10 sets of add-on
> widgets) is a third. BFS is a fourth. Media Kit is a fifth. Translators, a
> sixth. The threading a seventh. Is this to put down Linux/BSD/Hurd/Whatever?
> No. But I believed, believe and will continue to believe until I see
> otherwise that what is good for the Server Room is not necessarily good for
> the Desktop and that Choice is Not Necessarily Good. That is really what OBOS
> has to offer. An integrated package that contains lots and lots of stuff that
> makes development easy and being a user fun again. If we were to have a
> mission statement, that might well be it.

Amen to that! Although the "contains lots and lots of stuff" part is more of a
linux description - I would say an integrated package that contains all the
stuff needed to run an OS, in a completely consistent package, without
countless useless options and dozens of apps to do the same job.

Also, obviously, I believe the integrated widgets should be updated to a more
modern look ready for R1 :-) Sorry, not mentioned that for a while.

Simon