[openbeos] Re: Think useful, not cool

  • From: "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:40:12 +0200

> A super cool OS will, of course, ease the path to super
> cool apps, but one has to convince developers that your
> super cool OS is where they want to target those apps.

That's one element. The other one, as I said time and time
before, is that BeOS has very few super cool apps. Most of
them use the traditional paradigm (copied from Windows/Linux)
and are barely innovative, lest using the BeOS to the
fullest.

Developers need to think like users, like marketers, like
geniuses...; they need to get into existing software and ask
themselves "why doesn't that software do this or do that;
can I possibly put that into my application?", etc. Really,
what is needed is lateral and innovative yet practical
thinking instead of copying what already exists.
Only this way the BeOS can ever become successful, because
we need USP (unique selling propositions) plastered all over
the place, making it easy for people to dump Linux and
Windows in favour of BeOS, whether they already have a PC or
are considering getting one.

Just my 0.02.

Helmar