[haiku] Re: Thin text in WonderBrush

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 18:40:41 +0200

On 2009-08-06 at 17:58:56 [+0200], Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Does anyone know why text in WonderBrush looks so much more washed out,
> thinner, than the same text (same font and size) anywhere else in the
> system, e.g. the text box used to enter the text into WonderBrush?

That would be me, I guess. :-) WonderBrush uses linear blending. It is very
possible that I am not compensating for some effect, either I am doing
something wrong with regards to blending calculations, or the rasterization
of Freetype (I may be using AGG, though, I would have to check), is already
compensated for doing non-linear blending, and so it's twice linear, if you
know what I mean...

Non-linear versus linear blending is pretty hard to explain in a few words.
At the time, I experimented a lot with different color spaces, and you can
see some of that on the WonderBrush website, in the features section. It
seems that what works well in one place of the application (blending
colors) works not so well in another place...

It looks like I may not have much time in the next few month, but I already
picked up working on a completely new WonderBrush some time ago. I would
want to improve on the blending there, use linear blending and do fancy
gamma correction and all that, most probably in 16 bits per channel...
don't know when that will bear any fruits in the form of a first release.

In any case, if it really annoys you, I can compile a WonderBrush version
with linear blending turned off, it's just a #define I can switch.

Best regards,
-Stephan