[haiku] Re: The state of Haiku

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:48:49 +0100

Hi,

On 22.01.2016 02:07, François Revol wrote:

We could have both a package reference in them and a way to propose new
repos for inclusion.

The Haiku Depot Server has been evolved by Andrew so that admins can add external repositories upon request. My idea was that this would provide the best experience for users, when 3rd party packages can be decorated at the web service (by everyone, not just the original author, which is good regarding translations) and several repositories are already added there. HaikuDepot could retrieve the repositories known to the server via the web API (which already exists), and offer the user to include those repos (a drop-down with check-mark items perhaps?). I just haven't gotten around to implement this, but it should be relatively easy. There is code already in the command line tool which could be copied and changed regarding the error handling and reporting.

There's another solution though.

Currently the "vendor" string is just this, a string. There is nothing
preventing someone from making a BeBits/Haikuware repository, and
repackaging submission after patching the vendor string in the manifest.

Technically they can still be considered the "vendor" since they ship
the binary to the user, they are the "publisher", not the author or editor.

That would be a useful service, provided they also check the package
properly references dependencies and everything.

Besides this the packages should really be signed (as in GPG-signed) by
the vendor (and we could as well leave way for both author and publisher
to sign it).

That sounds good as well.

Best regards,
-Stephan