[haiku] Re: The refrigerator & light problem and an solution

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:44:28 +0000

Subject: [haiku] Re: The refrigerator & light problem and an solution
From: "Cyan" <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 02:07:36 GMT

Mizsei Zoltán (miqlas) <miqlas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We need change the code, and if the is_computer_on() give 1 the
ACPI need start the computer.
(If the computer runs, nothing will happend.)
If the is_computer_on() gives always 1 the computer always will
starting automatically.
But if not, the machine never start automatically.
This is the solvation of this problem.

This sounds like an interesting solution to the problem, but will it
pass the "paper test"?
The function listing (in assembler), along with any subroutines it
calls, must be printed out on paper, and the computer must be
powered-down. The listing should then be walked-through by hand,
keeping track of register and memory values on paper.

Is this paper test not just a simulation of a powered up computer, in which case why switch it off at all?

If a computer is powered down, then there's no electricity flowing and therefore any return from any function call cannot be anything other than 0, it cannot be a 1 since that requires energy and there is none...

--

Nitpicking aside, I suppose in these days of processors with aggressive sleep modes and watchdog processors it's quite possible for the CPU to be off while the computer is still on...

--

Nicholas Blachford
nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx