[openbeos] Re: The new 'home' page

  • From: ar1000@xxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:15:32 -0400

On Aug 28, 2006, at 9:38 PM, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) wrote:

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Gavin James <gavin.james@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Back to the theme. I need to update the fonts. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

At the moment I think the text is a bit too small and I've never been crazy about Verdana.

I like the look of Lucida Grande with a font-size of 9pt...It's softer than Verdana, and a little bit larger.

Well, you'll only ever see what you've installed on your system, so it at least doesn't make sense to rely on something uncommon (I don't know if Lucida Grande is usually part of Windows or Linux, I'm just sure it's not part of BeOS or Haiku :-)).

Axel is right to a certain degree at least. Specifying alternative typefaces (arial, helvetica, haru) in your CSS file can minimize the difference of fonts in different OS environments, but it is not perfect.

Some sites graphics for titles. As an example, take a look at ubuntu.com. I think this is a good compromise, as it allows you to use the specific typeface that you want (at least for the titles), without a significant hit in rendering speed (as the graphics tend to be pretty small). As a matter of fact, this is what I would recommend for the titles in our home page (ie., Developer Resources, Dev Community, Special Events, News Headlines, etc.).

Koki

1. Lucida Grande is iinstalled by default only on macs (X)
2. sIFR is a good alternative for headline fonts in ocnjunction with font embedding. Browsers will use iether depending on what tools are available.

- Austin

P.S. I am also working on making my Drupal theme work like the Koki mockup.