[openbeos] Re: The general tone of things

  • From: Scott Mansfield <thephantom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:14:01 -0700

Hi Jared,

On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 20:09 America/Los_Angeles, Jared wrote:

i fear there has been more rivalry than cooperation lately. scary stuff to see amongst the remaining die hards.

How so?

might be good to step back and look at what is being posted to this list, why its being posted and recall what the list is here for. many of the arguments are focused on topics that might otherwise fit the purpose of this list, but without the beneficial outcome of progress they are simply arguments.

My understanding is that this is primarily a list for developers. That being said...

The development process can be, at times, not for the faint-hearted. Especially during the architectural and functional specification phases of a project. :-)

Speaking from personal experience and NOT for the OBOS dev team: we as developers tend to be direct and speak our minds, which is the most efficient way to convey ideas and get our job done. This might appear as adversity but it's really productive developers at work. There's an inherent understanding that if a fellow developer voices a dissenting opinion it's not intended as a slight on one's character; a lot of construction and deconstruction happens in these kinds of discussions which is part of the development process. Is this what you're referring to?

Cheers,
Scott