[openbeos] Re: The future of Haiku's full time dev

  • From: "Simon Porter" <hailstorm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 16:26:55 -0000

Hi,

My name probably isn't familiar to any of you. I've been watching this
project for quite a while now with interest. Just wanted to follow on from
the suggestions Simon Taylor made. This reminds me very much of the freenet
project. (freenet.sf.net). They also use donations to support their main
full-time developer. The current amount that’s needed for that month is also
shown prominently on the front page.

Asides from supporting a full time developer I think it has been mentioned
before by others that it would nice to have a bit more feedback as to what
the finances of the project are. At the moment the only information is the
statement of receipts and expenditures on the website. Even just publishing
the current balance of the project would be nice.

The main thing I wanted to suggest was adding recurring payments. This would
give a more reliable and regular income for the project. If you have a look
at the freenet project's website mentioned about you will see that on their
donation page they have added the option to give a certain amount each
month. This can easily be done through paypal by visiting the following
link:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/xcl/rec/subscr-intro-outside

This would probably take less than half an hour to do and add it to the
donations page.

Anyway, hope someone, kurtis I'm guessing, will take the suggestion into
consideration.

Simon