[openbeos] The future of Haiku's full time dev

  • From: "Joachim Seemer" <j.seemer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 07:35:05 +0100 CET

Hello there!

Seeing dozens of cvs commits every day never fails to put a smile on my face!
The majority come from Haiku's first full time employee Axel (though there are
of course a couple of other fine contributers, among them Ingo Weinhold, who
has done an extraordinary job with the new build system in the last weeks!).
The fact that there's much more "code-talk" on the cvs-list suggests to me that
having an industrious full-timer builds, besides code, quite some momentum and
motivates the fellow developers.
It really feels like Haiku is moving forward in bounds and leaps. I think it's
crucial to keep up that pace. Tragically, Axel's employment is running out by
the end of the month, if I remember correctly.

So here are two questions to Michael Phipps and Axel:

a) provided the funds were there, would Axel be able/willing to prolong his
full-time work (if not, is there a worthy successor already waiting in the
wings)?

b) how much more money than what's left in the Haiku war chest is needed to
keep a full-timer for another month (or longer)?

Thanks so much and keep up the good work everybody!
J.Seemer