[openbeos] Re: The Wiki (or MediaWiki-powered semi-wiki)

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:38:37 -0700

On 9/30/06, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) < koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also have a problem with the general notion that a single person can just go and change whatever he/she wants, as you have been doing, for example, with the menus. What thought are you giving into these changes, if any? What if I (or anybody else, for that matter) start making changes to the menus because I think they are not right? Where does it end?

The problem is that you do not have a plan that has been agreed upon.
You installed Drupal, and had an army of well intended contributors
sweep for content and dumped it all into the site. Little thought was
given into the organization of the site, what menu structure it should
have, about navigation, looks, message or how it should be maintained.

Honestly, I am very reluctant to do anything because I do not like how
things are being done. Specifically, the fact that you do things at
will, without notice of any kind (like deleting forums in the old
website; making changes to the menu structure, switching to the new
website all of a sudden, etc.). That's not my idea of teamwork.

This has been bothering me a bit as well. I respect Waldemar's work, and I
am personally grateful that he has taken the task of setting up a new site
on himself - but it really does seem that there's no specific end-goal
defined.

I think we can agree that there are two separate needs for the new site: a
theme, and a layout/navigation design.  I would mostly categorize the theme
as graphics, colors, fonts, etc. while the layout and navigation would be
the structure.  To me personally, the theme is much less important to the
success of the new site...

The old site lacked content, and did not even (IMO) have very clear access
to the content that was there.  The new site has no lack of content, but it
still seems to suffer from lack of organization and access to that content
as Jorge has pointed out here.  Other things that the old site suffered from
are now also possible to solve such as lack of updates and maintenance.  The
old site also had no way to allow direct feedback for the content - whereas
Drupal allows comments on articles (at the author's discretion).

To sum it up, I like the direction that the new site is headed as far as
features - but I share Jorge's concern that there is too much disorganized
content currently - and no real "vision" for the navigation yet.

- Urias