[openbeos] Re: The Wiki

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:06:17 -0400

ar1000@xxxxxxx wrote:

Development can be VERY VERY scary to end users. We need clear separation and all unnecessary content should be retained on the wiki. Official vs. unofficial is less relevant than good vs. not-so- good content. We should mark unofficial content with a disclaimer, but no to mark our wiki with red "ALL OF THIS IS UNOFFICIAL — CAUTION!!!!!!!" That is just silly.

It's also important to remember that development means something different to ... non-developers. Many people will think of that as sort of like news - what are the latest developments. Especially non-technical people.

I am completely against the wiki even existing, to be honest. Drupal gives logged in users the ability to submit content. What extra benefit does wiki give, except a door for spammers and ill mannered people? We have a good balance - the ability for the community to contribute and the ability for us to control what goes on the site, and all without wiki. I vote to drop it altogether.

But the reason for the mega-warnings was that the GE stuff went into the wiki and it needed to be made abundantly clear to anyone visiting that they were *NOT* looking at a product roadmap but instead a list of brainstormed ideas.

Everything in moderation . . . especially moderation.

P.S. (It does need to look good too)

I don't think that what we have looks horrible, but I think that we can do better.