[openbeos] The Road to GE...

  • From: "David Shipman" <unlyrn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, glasselevator@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:21:31 NZST (+1200)

Note the cross-posting : Let this end up on the appropriate list.

Its quite well established that OBOS R1 will be basically identical to
BeOS R5 (or as close as legally possible, + bugfixes...)

GlassElevator is still somewhat ethereal, although there certainly are
recurring themes and concepts on the list that indicate some kind of
direction.
Certain groups are working on redesigns/improvements to various kits
and APIs, new system tools that warrant possible inclusion, and all
manner of cool ideas for the melting pot.

My question is simple : At what point do we start implementing these
'GE' features in OBOS?
Version 1.0.1 ?  1.0.2? Are there some features that are so beneficial
that they should be in R1 - or is everything on hold until R2?

I've always felt that the shift from OBOS -> GE should be a matter of
'evolution rather than revolution' - so now its a question of "When
does the evolution begin?"

Thanks,
David Shipman