[haiku] Re: The Haiku Network (was: Re: GSoC Web Services Kit OS integration)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:30:01 +0200 CEST

Stephan Lichtenauer <fbsdlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I don´t understand why they have to add DNS
> >> to the mix.
> > DynDNS was the first thing that came to my mind.
> But DynDNS doesn't have to do anything
> with service discovery, it only assigns
> a DNS name to an IP address. The ZeroConf/
> Bonjour framework is about publishing services
> and finding all published services of a
> certain type.

I don´t see the value in publishing services,
anywhere. That should be a matter between two
peers. Just classic internet communication where
one host connects to another over TCP or UDP via
some standard or otherwise known port number,
using a known protocol, and then whatever services
they want to provide each other is their private
business.

Network autoconfig and services discovery can and
should be separate, IMO. (But then again, I might be
a tiny grasshopper in network things.)

/Jonas.