[haiku] Re: The Haiku Network (was: Re: GSoC Web Services Kit OS integration)

  • From: Stephan Lichtenauer <fbsdlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:54:54 +0100

Am 28.03.2009 um 17:09 schrieb François Revol:

I agree, that is also one of the first things that
comes to my mind:  Synchronise addresses and maybe
other information like calendaring, some kind of notes,
... (plugin architecture might make sense here) to
services like Facebook, Xing, LinkedIn, Google Calendar
and maybe even my mobile phone...

I would like to see a cross-platform peer to peer
network services framework that cuts these huge
websites out of the loop completely, providing similar
services in a completely peer to peer fashion.

IMO Haiku has a unique opportunity to create a
community service network, which could become a
killer application. (A killer service?) Something
that makes people flock to Haiku and stay with us.

That sounds like a very interesting idea. It sounds like the "cloud
computing" buzzword thing but with cutting out providers like Google
where you don't know what your data will be used for.

While it does sound interesting yes, keep in mind that all the data
generated by those sites are mostly financed by ads.
I'm not sure a community-only network would provide accurate/up to date
info.
On one hand it might suppress businessship induced bias (promoting
wrong info), but it also would let in wrong info anyway.

Yes you are right, but I thought more about serverless services that have been mentioned like shared backup, maybe (serverless) instant messaging etc. I would not want to replace all the things LinkedIn, Jabber, Twitter etc offer, I just thought that it might be a nice complementary add-on to have some of the services being available as peer-to-peer option without such platforms.

In any case I do not think that it makes sense to offer yet another server-based service, there are enough of them available where Haiku could plug in. (I admit this is a little bit different to what has been proposed by the first poster)

Stephan