[haiku] Re: Tentative approval for paying for the fliers

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:46:35 -0800

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
On 2009-12-22 at 16:50:28 [+0100], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
So, I am far from being a stranger, nor am I asking for a blank check.

You're definitely not a stranger. Still you're asking for a blank check. Or how would you call committing to pay for something yet unknown?

It is not something unknown. As I said here...

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Haiku-flier-reprint

the plan is to reprint the existing flier which you can see here...

http://www.haiku-os.org/files/screenshots/2008-07-26_flyer_LW-2008.png

..."with some updated info and a new look more atone with the website theme" (quoting myself).

I have also provided all the specifications of the print job (size, colors, paper types, etc.) and a wide array of choices in terms of cost.

Thus, saying that I am asking for a blank check is really a mis-characterization.

Is it that unreasonable for Haiku, Inc.'s BOD member, who are responsible for money donated by the community, to at least require a look at the final design before committing to spending that money? Wouldn't it even be irresponsible not to do that?

It is the unfair treatment based on a double standard that I find unreasonable.

Let's see: Traveling costs, event support, purchase of books or hardware. Mmh, could it be that in all these cases it was well-defined what the money would be spent for, while printing a flier with yet unknown content is not?

This is far from reality. The expectation of a return on the investment is always there, for *any* expenditure regardless of its nature; otherwise, the money would not be committed. But the reality is that even for expenditures on traveling costs, event support, purchase of books or hardware, you can't know in advance what that return will be. You can have an idea, but you don't know for sure.

The default at Haiku has always been to assume that the beneficiary will do a good job at a conference, turn his studying of a book into useful code, or use the hardware to code for Haiku. In other words, trust was put on the person.

In this particular case, I don't see this happening; this is what makes me feel singled out and discriminated.

Is the flier not deemed to be a good return on the investment?

I'm sure it is. Not being associated with Haiku, Inc. in any way, that's only what I'm guessing from the public mails I've read. Do you have reason to assume that members of the BOD do not deem the flier to be a good investment?

Yes: their reluctance to make a commitment, which I can only take as a vote of no confidence.

Please, help me understand, because I am really feeling singled out here
in a very discriminatory way, and this is not helping my motivation.

I'd say you're singling yourself out. A tentative approval for financing the fliers has been given and everyone agrees that your track record is excellent. If anyone else on this list does not find this enough of a vote of confidence to start with the design, please shout.

I am afraid a lot of people are giving lip service here; the truth is that actions are not in sync with the words. If it were true that everyone had so much confidence in what I do, why is there a need to apply a separate standard that does all the contrary to showing confidence and giving reassurance?

Mmh, the "there is every intention to do so" part sounds pretty confident, if you ask me.

The questions that plague me: Why would you ask of Haiku, Inc. to forgo their responsibility towards the donors and give you a blank check?

If you put it that way, then I would have to say that they have always forgone their responsibility towards the donors, because they never applied this criteria before.

Why are a tentative approval and a general epxression of confidence in your skills not enough for you?

Because, as I said, the actions contradict the words.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki